Sunday, April 22

Planning Zeke's First Birthday

I have never been a party planner in this lifetime and honestly, I don't think I can ever be a party planner in ANY lifetimes. The last party that I tried to organize on my own was my twin sisters' 18th birthday, which turned out okay but that was eons ago. They're now 22, for crying out loud!

When I organized my best friend's bridal shower, I had help from her ENTIRE family so it wasn't bad. Now, I'm in a real dilemma as my son is about to celebrate his first birthday this coming July, in less than three months to be exact.

I'm hyperventilating again.

I have browsed the pages in FN to help me and really, the only ideas I've got was my theme ---- Disney Cars. I also found out that if I want to do it in a fast food restaurant, I have to sacrifice the theme because each restaurant has their own theme. Oh c'mon!

Crap. If you're a mommy like me who is clueless when it comes to party planning, here's a few tips I have Googled in the net:

1. What's your budget? Be sure to give yourself some wiggle room for unexpected costs. Set a budget that you can afford. Be practical and remember, it's his first birthday, NOT yours.

2. Where will you have it? It's almost always cheaper and easier to have people over your house, unless you don't have the space. Fast food restaurants are life savers for planning and cost-friendly too. Big venues may be way expensive but will assured of privacy.

3. Will you get a party planner or DIY? DIY requires more planning while party planners require a higher budget.

4. How many people do you need to invite? (Remember wedding guest list hell? You may need to negotiate to keep the numbers down here, too). This is becoming like my wedding!

5. How many kids/babies will there be? Babies don't need a ton of entertainment, but you'll want to have fun games and crafts planned for toddlers and older kids attending.

6. Invitations: Will you send out formal ones, shoot your guests an email or just let everyone know over the phone? Facebook and blogging will be of huge help here.

7. Will you have a theme or color scheme? This can also help you figure out food, decorations, cake and favors.

Now, to the juicy part. Here's what I have in my mind for Zeke's party.

Budget: It appears that my husband and I have finally agreed on one thing and it's the budget. We can't go all-out because, let's face it --- we only have a few moolah saved for Zeke's party. Right now, we have 20k and he's thinking of still negotiating it. He keeps saying that Zeke won't remember this and as I keep telling myself, this is NOT my party.

Theme: We both agreed on having it ala-Disney Pixar Cars theme as Zeke loves racing and cars. We wanted a Disney Junior theme too but we realized some of the characters like Handy Manny are not available locally. So, Cars theme it is.

Venue: We're still debating as to whether celebrate it in a fast food restaurant or just do it at home.

Guests: Family, friends and co-workers come to mind. Of course we need kids. Hopefully, lots and lots of kids.

Souvenirs: We decided on doing a photo booth to save money (2-in-1) LOL

Sigh. There's still a lot to do and really, I hope my husband realizes it too (before it's too late). I hate cramming! Wish me luck, dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment