Saturday, May 7

Crazy Little Thing Called "Marriage"

After a month of being married to my husband, I came to realize two things --- it's both a sacrifice and an enjoyment. I know it's cliche but marriage DID change my life. It's no longer about "ME" or "MINE" or even the sometimes tolerant "MY". Life is now about "WE", "US" and yes, even the elusive "OUR". Wow, I can't believe I was able to come up with English terms to express my elated feeling.

Anyway, enough sentiments. Let me get to the point. How was I, a young wife at 26, able to come up with two different words and join them in one sentence? Simple. Try living with my husband and you'll say it too, haha,

Kidding aside, it's a sacrifice because:
  • you become responsible for another person, not just yourself
  • in my situation, I always wake up early to prepare breakfast, baon, my husband's clothes and bag for work and of course, prepare for work
  • I learned how to do laundry (for our delicates --- we have a labandera who does the laundry every Friday), ironing (only when necessary like the plantsadora forgot to iron my husband's favorite pair of pants), sewing (of destroyed delicates like my husband's boxers), market every Saturday, go home early (no more sneaking to the mall after work hours) and of course, wait for my husband to come home. In short, I began doing things I didn't do when I was still single and living with my parents.
  • you take a leave of absence from work to take care of your sick husband
  • share the remote
  • share everything (BUDGET!)
  • no more shopping spree without your husband knowing it
  • and a lot more. If I list them all here, I wouldn't be able to finish this blog entry
But, I've already set myself to face these sacrifices when I made my vow in front of the Catholic Church so it didn't quite take me by surprise. More or less, it kind of overwhelmed me. Don't get me wrong; it wasn't a negative feeling. I just felt truly happy to finally have something important happen to my life.

As I've said, the sacrifices are nothing compared to the enjoyment and pleasures I felt:
  • waking up beside him
  • being taken care of when I'm sick
  • taking showers together
  • looking forward to Fridates
  • cooking and eating together
  • grocery shopping
  • joint budget
  • house shopping
  • just the mere fact that I will live with him for the rest of my life is something that I'm really looking forward to
Overall, being married is the best decision we've ever made. And with the coming of our little one, life is finally making sense. Seize the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment