Monday, February 13

Prelude to Valentine's Day

When I was in college, we had our retreat at the Transfiguration Chapel of Caleruega in Nasugbu, Batangas and ever since that day, it became my dream wedding location. San a groom in mind, I have always dreamed of walking down that chapel's tiny aisle in my flowing white gown, with the room filled with friends and loved ones. The reception would definitely be at some place near; I wasn't very specific at that time because I had my eyes only on the chapel.

Sadly, it didn't come true. But don't say I didn't try, oh yes I tried. There's a waiting list ---- you should give notice at least a year before you get married. I can't wait that long because I was already pregnant. Needless to say, the dream wedding will always be a dream wedding and I felt bitter about it, to tell you the truth.

And that bitterness might have shown because a friend emailed me right after my wedding. I was only able to read it today because I don't use that email address any longer... heck, I even forgot about my password! It was only today, after almost a year, that I was able to read it and it said-
It's not about where you will hold the wedding, it's about to whom you'll get married to. You might not have that Calaruega dream wedding you've been wanting since forever but at least you're sure that you married a faithful and loving husband. Since he treated you right for the last seven years, he will treat you best now that you guys are married. Remember Althea, money cannot buy you happiness. It could buy you clothes, shoes, gadgets and all that crap but it can never buy you love nor loyalty. And, it can never buy you a happy marriage.
I cried after reading this email. Maybe it was due to the weather or maybe because this email touched the deepest part of my heart --- that area where I usually hide my angst or uncertainty or negativity. Slowly, I came out of my reverie and it's like a breath of fresh air. Oo nga naman.

I should feel grateful. My husband never cheated on me when we were still boyfriend-girlfriend, not even once. I never had a crying-fest because he was flirting with a girl nor did I have "that real doubt" (how ironic!) that there ever was a third party.

It occurred to me, over reading this email and remembering our relationship, how truly lucky I am. My husband is not only a shooting star, as I have described him to be in my vow. He is Halley's comet. My Halley's comet.

I love you Dy.

No comments:

Post a Comment