Sunday, January 15

Zeke Meets Cerelac Banana and Milk

Today, my husband and I fed Zeke semi-solid food for the first time. We wanted him to really eat at the start of his 6th month so that he was purely on milk (breastmilk) during his first 6 months of life. If I remember correctly, babies should be solely fed milk for the first six months of their life. But of course, you may start with semi-solid food by the age of 4 months.

Starting solid food is a gradual process. I was able to tell that Zeke is ready for solid food because:
  • he can hold his head upright
  • he can sit with support and is able to move food to the back of his mouth and swallow
  • he has a healthy weight (more than double his birth weight!)
  • he shows interest in the food that my husband and I eat (at one time, he almost grabbed my spoon and glass)
How to get started:
  • You need to have: a high chair, a bib, a bowl and a plastic (bendy) spoon
  •  First, wash your hands thoroughly before preparing the food. I recommend Cerelac because not only does it taste good, it's loaded with enough vitamins, minerals and nutrients necessary for a growing baby.
  • Offer your breast milk or formula. When your baby's nearly full, give one to two teaspoons of dry cereal dissolved to become a soupy solution.
  • Give new foods gradually by sticking first to the cereal (give it once once a day). Don't forget to follow the preparation tips on the box for a safer introduction to solid.
  • Stick to one kind of food for a week to detect any food allergy. Then, wait until the third day before giving your baby any new kind of food. 
Eat





Drink

Happy Zeke *burp*
I'll make a new post about all these when I get the time regarding what to expect during birth to 6 months. I've been wanting to make these kind of entries for so long because I know that there are a lot of new mommies (like me!) out there who are very clueless about their not-so-little bundle of joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment