Saturday, August 18

Emergency Kits and What-Nots

The bagsik of Habagat last Tuesday was evident all-throughout the news. Frankly, to think that what had made the country paralyzed for two days is not a typhoon, it still makes me cringe and literally sends shivers down my spine.

Manila was in constant flooding and disastrous events after Ondoy and although heavy rains cannot be prevented, I have come up with an "Emergency Plan" for my family. The constant fear of what has happened before became my ally in creating this kit (seriously, I was on constant monitor of the little creek near our residence and whenever I see how high the water is getting, the only comforting thought I have is this kit)
and I would to share it to you, fellow Filipino:

1. Clean, drinking water. Make sure to allot a gallon for each of your family member as you wouldn't know how long the flood or how long you'll coop in your house.


2. Food --- preferably instant or ready-to eat. Make sure you pack can-openers and scissors as well, in case of a black out.

3. Pack your important documents and also, a few clothes for changing. It is advisable to pack them in a clear, plastic bag to assure it could float and wouldn't be wet.

l

 4. First aid kit ---- alcohol, cotton, Betadine, b a couple of band-aids, sterilized gauze and a few medications (for fever, diarrhea, headache and pain). Don't forget to pack your own medications, if any. We don't want any added emergency in situations like this.


5. Flashlight and extra batteries.


6. A whistle to signal for help.

7. Battery-operated radio to keep up with the news.

8. Keep your mobile phones fully charged as it could be your last means of survival.
9. Blankets and sleeping bags, in case you need to transfer locations.
10. Most importantly, your baby's own survival bag. Make sure you let your kids wear something warm and can be easily seen in the dark, like neon colors.

Keep a clear head and don't panic at all cost. Everything will be alright as long as you keep your calm and you have your kit with you.

I do hope the heavy rains will stop soon. Keep safe everyone.

1 comment:

  1. hi there hope u could join on my giveaway! heres the link: http://poptartselle.blogspot.com/2012/08/join-my-international-giveaway-from.html

    ReplyDelete