Saturday, July 30

An Unexpected Delivery

July 9th 2011. It was a typical Saturday. My hubby and I didn't have chores to do since Manang already did everything the previous night. All I did is prepare breakfast (yummy longganisa and fried rice) and since I have a scheduled OB check-up at 3PM and a Saturdate with my hubby, I was merely passing the time by watching pregnancy videos and arranging my uber clustered closet.

None of us thought today will be THE DAY.

At 5PM, my hubby and I were still patiently waiting at my OB's clinic. She got in a bit late because of (surprise, surprise) heavy traffic along Marcos highway. When my OB's secretary finally ushered us in, I was really hungry that I can't help but whispered to my hubby "Can we eat at Max's tonight? I want to savor their Chicken-All-You-Can again." He gave me a stern look but nodded anyway.

Dra. Orlina greeted me with a smile and told me she was very pleased with my blood pressure and weight. Then, as a check-up protocol, I was asked to lie down so she could check my cervix. The last time she checked, it was still closed. Suddenly, her face fell and asked me, "Did you and your husband had contact last night?" In a distant past, I might have been offended by this question but I just shrugged and said, "We didn't have sex ever since I've learned that I'm pregnant. You know about this Dra., you advised us not to." Haha.

She became more worried and said, "You're leaking. And, you're cervix is already open at 2cm. Have you been urinating frequently for the last 24 hours?" Then it hit me. OMG, that's the reason why I was very fidgety at Megamall last night and not to mention, my trips to the bathroom were beyond normal.

So, she gave me the 411. I had Premature Rupture of Membrane (PROM) which may cause infection to the baby if I don't give birth within 6 hours. She said that she'll admit me and if my dilation is good, we could still proceed with the normal delivery. However, CS is a big possibility especially since we're racing against time.

Surprisingly, I was calm. My husband though was a bit nervous. He kept asking me if I'm feeling any contractions, if I'm okay, etc. I wanted to laugh at him when we got admitted. He didn't know what to do! I had to instruct the attendant because my hubby can't speak audibly, let alone collect his thoughts!

At around 6PM, I was ushered in the delivery room and was given fluids to induce labor. They've attached so many tubes to me and of course, dextrose fluids were given for me to avoid dehydration and weakness. I was very at ease, even chatting with the male nurse (surprise, surprise). I'm unsure why I'm calm and why I can't feel any pain (today I've realized that my pain tolerance is actually very high that's why I didn't feel any contractions when my water bag broke) but being in labor for 4 hours made me appreciate my mum further. Although the contractions are mild, waiting for your cervix to open up to 10cm just to give birth WITHOUT anything to do besides stare at the white walls, it's painfully boring.

Physicians come in every hour to check on my cervix (IE much?) and unfortunately, I only gain 1cm per hour so by the time Dra. Orlina checked on me, I was still 6cm short to undergo a normal delivery.

That's the time when she called my husband to inform him and have him sign the CS delivery waiver. I was ready and yes, even though I know CS is riskier, I'll do anything to have my little one delivered safely.

11:46PM. I requested not to be sedated because I want to see and kiss Zeke when he gets out. My anesthesiologist and OB agreed. So, I was given an epidural from the waist down. It was no easy task. 5 shots on the spine is no laughing matter. I had to fetus position myself to get the shots.

But it was all worth it. As soon as I heard the loud cry of my baby especially when the nurse showed him to me, all the pain was eradicated. I kissed my son on both cheeks. And yes, I shed a few tears. I'm a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment