Saturday, July 2

Finally, I'm 9 Months Pregnant!

Last Wednesday, my hubby and I went to have my lab works and pelvic ultrasound done. So, we went to Marikina Valley Medical Center for my urinalysis and hemoglobin/hematocrit. Since I was really excited to do the 4D ultrasound, we didn't bother having the pelvic ultrasound done there. Instead, I phoned In My Womb and set an appointment. We selected the Ruby Package (currently an on-going promo) amounting to Php 4,000. Not bad.
SM Marikina branch is one of the best!
When we got there, we were welcomed by the most courteous nurse in the history of being a receptionist (no kidding!). I immediately had a liking to the place. What more, when she learned that I am currently in my 35th week, she advised me to have the 2D ultrasound first so that we won't get disappointed. If the OB says it's clear to do a 4D then by all means, go!

Baby's 100% BOY! See his balls? Hahaha
In My Womb is not a facility that endorses 4D for the money (clearly, after the example I have cited above) but because they want to increase the future parents' excitement by showing how their baby looks like. Awesome, isn't it?

Anyway, during the pelvic ultrasound, the OB and staff were very friendly and accommodating. Sadly, they didn't allow me to proceed with the 4D because my baby's already in a cephalic position (meaning his head is already in the vaginal area) and we can't see his face. She said that although I didn't get to see my baby's actual features, it's good news because my baby can be delivered normally. My amniotic fluid is also in proper amounts plus my baby's weight is approximately 3 kilos (plus/minus 300g for actual weight). If I'm lucky, baby's weight could be just around 6.6 lbs, which is the best weight for babies if I want to have a normal delivery.

Good amount of amniotic fluid, we're good to go!
Fast forward to today...

I am quite having a difficulty in sleeping and breathing due to the fact that my baby's nearing delivery. Not to mention, I have developed certain rashes on my extremities. They're very itchy and I had to scratch them or else, it'll be very hard to sleep.  The rashes started on my belly (where I self-medicated on Fissan Prickly Heat powder = fail).

PUPPP – or pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy
I was scared at first because it was the first time I've seen this and during my 9th month pa! I've asked my doctor and she said that I don't need to worry because my skin is just sensitive and most likely, these rashes will disappear after my pregnancy. I also consulted a dermatologist to check what's going on with my rashes and thankfully, she said that it's not permanent and it may go away once I'm done with my pregnancy. She gave me so many things to drink/use:

Loratidine (safe), lotion (safe), soap (safe)
So, what exactly is PUPPP?
Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP), also known as polymorphic eruption of pregnancy, is the most common rash in pregnant women. It normally occurs in first pregnancies during the third trimester with an average onset of 35 weeks. Thankfully, PUPPP does not usually affect subsequent pregnancies.

Appearance of PUPPP
The rash of PUPPP almost always begins in the stretch marks (striae) of the abdomen. It does not involve the belly button distinguishing it from other common rashes of pregnancy. The rash itself consists of small, red wheals in the stretch marks that grow together to form larger wheals on the abdomen. Sometimes the rash can include small vesicles. Over the next several days, the rash can spread over the thighs, buttocks, breasts, and arms.

The rash is very itchy, or pruritic, hence the name. This condition is harmless to mother and baby, but can be very annoying. It lasts an average of 6 weeks and resolves spontaneously 1 to 2 weeks after delivery. The most severe itching normally lasts for no more than 1 week.

Cause of PUPPP
The cause of PUPPP is unknown. It is not associated with preeclampsia, autoimmune disorders, hormonal abnormalities, or fetal abnormalities. Some investigators suggest that the rapid abdominal wall distension damages connective tissue and causes an inflammatory response. One study has shown that male fetal DNA can be found in skin biopsies of the rash. Since 70% of women with PUPPP give birth to boys, a new hypothesis is that male fetal DNA acts as a skin irritant.

Diagnosis of PUPPP
The diagnosis of PUPPP is clinical, meaning it is based solely on the appearance of the rash. There are no laboratory tests that detect PUPPP. Skin biopsies are not generally performed unless there is a question about the diagnosis.

Treatment of PUPPP
The treatment of PUPPP is symptomatic. High strength steroid creams or ointments, such as clobetasol (Temovate) or betamethasone (Diplrolene), used up to 5 to 6 times a day usually relieve the itching and prevent the spread of the rash. Once the rash is under control, changing to a lower strength steroid used less frequently is advisable. For severe cases, daily oral steroids may be necessary to control itching. Oral antihistamines such asatarax, benadryl, and zyrtec, are generally less effective for itching than steroids, but may be useful at night to help with sleep.

According to Google, here's the list of Common Skin Changes and Rashes During Pregnancy:
When you’re pregnant, the changes that your body undergoes affect every part of your body, including your skin. Common skin changes include melasma, striae gravidarum, linea nigra, and varicose veins – just to name a few.
Melasma is more commonly known as the mask of pregnancy. Because of hormonal changes, some women develop dark patches on their face, particularly around the forehead and cheeks. This is a normal change and it usually fades away after delivery when the mother's hormones return to normal. Other common changes affecting the face are an increase in pimples, skin that becomes either more oily or more dry, and occasionally oily hair. (good thing I don't have this!)
Striae gravidarum – or the dreaded stretch marks – tend to affect some women more than others. It’s thought that genetics plays a large role in determining who’s cursed with these spidery imperfections and who isn’t. In general, stretch marks can appear anywhere on the body during pregnancy, but appear primarily on the stomach, buttocks, thighs and breasts. Stretch marks are generally very red when they first appear and sometimes appear raised at first. Over time, they’ll fade and become less noticeable, but – unfortunately – they never completely disappear. (touche!)
In addition, some women develop a dark line that runs from their belly button down toward their pubic area. This line is called the linea nigra and usually fades away after delivery. (i have this too!)
Next, it’s common not only for the nipples and areola to become somewhat enlarged, but they also tend to become darker in color during pregnancy. The external genitals also become increasingly pigmented during pregnancy. A few months following delivery, this increased pigmentation typically fades back to normal. (no dark coloration for me)
Existing moles also become darker. New moles may appear, as may skin tags, which are harmless skin growths. (no new / larger moles too)
And although varicose veins aren’t technically a skin condition, they can seem to be as veins become more obvious during pregnancy. (thank goodness, no varicose veins!(
When you’re pregnant, you’re also more likely to develop heat rash, as pregnant women generally perspire more than non-pregnant women. To avoid developing a rash, avoid becoming overheated and use a powder containing baking soda to help absorb moisture. You may also want to use an emollient cream under your breasts and at the top of the thighs to help prevent chafing. (victim of PUPPP)
Anyway, my OB advised me that my pelvic ultrasound is great, I have a normal hemoglobin/hematocrit results and my IE shows that my cervix is still closed (this is the part I hate the most! I don't like being IE-d at all! But, just for baby, I think it's all worth the pain). She advised me to be on my toes for the next coming weeks and of course, I need to see here on a weekly basis (to check if I'll be in labor soon). One thing that worries her is although the ultrasound shows a baby weight of 3 kilos, my baby looks huge!

pardon the outfit, I'm about to sleep (me at 36 weeks)
But, no need to worry. I just need to watch my diet, that's all. Oh, FYI, I lost 2 kilos. Can you believe it? I can't. We're praying for a normal delivery. I mean, I got the check from SSS last Friday which means I have enough to cover the package but still, I don't want to risk anything by undergoing a caesarean delivery. Keeping our fingers crossed!
SSS check
I can't wait to finally see you, my dear baby boy! Everything will be ready once you're here. I have your baby stuff, crib/pram from Graco (c/o your beloved Tita Emet), our manang, and yes, even your Pediatrician. This will be a fantastic journey and I just wish and HOPE that your dad and I can pull this off! I love you baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment