Friday, August 12

Zeke Turns A Month Old!

Time flies when you're having fun. Now I know what this statement means.

Last August 9th, my little angel turned a month old. It was amazing! Zeke looks bigger, chubbier and healthier, far from the newborn I have given birth to.
1 month!
When Zeke was born, all I can do was stare at him. It was the most amazing feeling, seeing your child for the first time. And when I first held him and kissed him, I cried. I didn't care if I underwent C section. I didn't care that my tummy was still open. I didn't care. It was like my baby was the center of my universe. Until now, I still can't believe that I am a mother.
Holding my baby for the first time was the cherry on top
It wasn't a smooth sailing month. We had to stay in the hospital for a week because Zeke was diagnosed with jaundice, a condition normally present in newborns. However, in my baby's case, his bilirubin level was higher than normal thus there's a need to undergo phototherapy.
All that we can do is wait
It was a frustrating first week for me and my husband. Stress, anxiety and unfortunately, lack of sleep don't go well. I was desperate to go home.

Zeke at 1st week
Finally, when Zeke's pediatrician gave us the go signal to go home, we gladly obliged.

The first week at home was chaotic. We had to deal with a screaming and fully awake baby in the wee hours of the morning. Good thing my mother-in-law was very supportive and easily lent us a hand, especially when my husband's paternity leave ended. By this time, I have noticed several mannerisms that my baby has. It was fun discovery time for the both of us.
Zeke at 2 weeks old
Zeke loves to do this while breastfeeding
His first bath!
He's smiling!
His mouth forms the letter "O" whenever he poops

On his third week, Zeke's sleeping pattern improved a little. He's still up by midnight but can go to sleep at around 3AM. He was latching on perfectly with breastfeeding and I was able to feed him solely on my breast milk. It was difficult to breastfeed him during our hospital stay so his pediatrician recommended him for mixed feeding. He was given Enfalac A+ and his diaper changes, which normally was seedy and greenish in color, (Pampers Newborn) were also monitored. So it was a big change when we got home. My breast milk became his sole food and his poop became yellowish and watery, which were  good signs.
Zeke at 3 weeks (his fave sleeping position)
Now, I'm glad to say that Zeke's sleeping pattern is gradually becoming normal. SwaddleMe blankets became my lifesaver because of the comfort it gives. Zeke sleeps soundly whenever he's using this amazing product.

Comfortable and secured
He also had his first pediatrician visit and he was given his second dose of Hepa-B shot (first dosage was given after birth and BCG was given during the newborn screening test, which, thankfully, had all normal results). He gave out a startled, loud cry after the shot! On his return check-up, he'll be given the 5-in-1 and rotavirus shots (which is a series of shots so that's 6k every visit).

4 weeks but not yet 1 month
Raising Zeke is becoming expensive as he grows old. But it's all worth it. I'm just happy that he's getting bigger and healthier by the minute (he's now 9.02lbs!) Although there had been problems (his cord stump has not yet fallen off which needs to be soaked in 70% alcohol to dry up, faint stain of blood on his poop which according to his pedia is normal, and sticky eyes which can be resolved by gently massaging the corner of his eyes), I am hoping to have an active and good-nature son.

By the way, my husband and I are also celebrating our 5th wedding month today. Can you believe it? I'll keep you posted on all his achievements next time. For now. I really need to sleep.

****EDITED (08.30.2011)

My baby's stump fell off when I was at the hospital (blog entry after the jump). We also celebrated his first month with a spaghetti party. He's now 7 weeks and could follow an object with his eyes! I'm so excited when he can finally play with his little gym set and crawl around the room!

My cutie baby at 5  weeks!

Look at him sleep, looks like he's praying :)
6 weeks, in his Moses basket

7 weeks! See how big he is! Don't grow up too fast, little Zeke!

Spaghetti party for my little angel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment